Friday, July 12, 2013

Begging, Pleading, Groveling

Yes to all of the above.

When you're serious about self-publishing, you run face first into the biggest obstacle--- publicity. Short of running through the Capital building here in Denver wearing nothing but spats and a smile and screaming unmentionable things about our esteemed governor, it's very hard to get noticed by media today. Radio is in it's own little world, internet radio reaches about 3 people, Sirius about 5, newspapers have given up interviewing anyone but Stephen King  and TV is too consumed with Kim Kardashian's behind to worry about anyone hawking and peddling a book. The moral I have learned is this--- either get a plastic surgeon to mold my behind to look like Kim Kardashian's--- or try a little help from your friends.

In radio, where I live work and play, I have relationships that span over 20 years. You'd think that would count for something. But I can't tell you how many of my radio connections I've called after sending them an email detailing my desire for an interview on their station, only to have them tell me, 'oh, sorry, forgot' or 'damn, I think I spammed it' or my favorite to date---'what email?' 

With that in mind, this is my official begging, groveling and pleading moment. Any and all of you, friends I have for years and friends I've yet to make, if I contact you about getting on for a five minute  segment with your morning show or any other segment of the day I might fit snugly into, please take a moment to realize I don't have a massive publishing house or even Kim Kardashian behind me. Self-publishing is a grueling exercise in persistence, and every little bit helps. 

I'm not complaining. Facts are facts---I also work full time, so my day begins at 4. I put in a full ten hours, then get to add in the dad stuff like cooking, carpool and trying to explain to my 15 year old why boys do the things they do. It's after all that, I turn the publicity machine on and try to get noticed. 

I have a story to tell---- a good one. I'm not alone. Many I know who self publish (shameless plug for my buddy Pat McNulty for example and his wonderful radio-themed book, GreatMusicRadio.com) also have great stories and  narratives. So please-- understand this is not just about selling books, it's also striking a blow for the little guy who doesn't have a big brother who's got his back. Please give us the time we need--- or  you'll be seeing way too many clones of Kim Kardashian's behind, in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment