Monday, July 8, 2013

Old Friends

There was a time a little while back that I told you in this blogspace that I had to clear out all the people and all the voices that were living rent free, in my head. And so I did.

When you strap on a story, characters occupy space in your mind. Some of course, need larger accommodations than others--- but all have access to you, 24/7, and all have demands. Writing a book is a very 'multiple personality'  type of  venture---at least it is for me. With all that going on in my gray matter, it gets hard to pay attention to those who live outside those walls, in the real world. They don't really understand you and they're  much less patient and forgiving than those in your head. My father-in-law comes to mind.

When I finish a story, I open a door and chase everyone out of my head. I have to. Many like to linger, but I need separation, even when I know I'm going to launch into a sequel. I had to get everybody to leave and allow me room to breath, to think, to ferment ideas without any input.

I was happy for a while but soon, ideas began to creep in. Story lines began to develop in my head. And so, as with any story I write, it was the story itself that drove me back to the word processor. And the peace and quiet I was enjoying, with just me lounging in the large empty space known as my brain, now began to slowly recede.
There would be a familiar knock on my imaginative door or a ring on the imaginative bell, and there they were, one at a time, all with character traits in an unkempt bundle, standing with arms full and a look on their face that said, 'I know you're thinking about me. You gonna invite me in-- or what..?'

So, many are back. Some new friends have been invited as well, while some older ones, not. It reminds me of the Catskills, where I used to go as a kid. Every summer in the bungalow colony, you'd say goodbye to everyone and wonder who would be back next summer. It wasn't until the following Memorial Day that you found out.

Conception took place June 17th. Start looking for the new book on Amazon, sometime in about nine and a half months. Some have asked, will Sam and Murph 'get it on'? Come on--- I'd never tell. But I will let you know this one will be full of surprises, twists and turns. It's everything I hope a sequel will be.

For now, I'm going to grab some coffee, relax,  slip into that big room between my ears and relax with some old friends. I admit, it got a little lonely and it's good to see them back. I hope they come back often and visit. They make life special for me. And I hope, in a small way, for you too.

No comments:

Post a Comment