Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Secondary characters

I recently got an email from someone who'd just finished the book, and it contained the following very enthusiastic but terse message:

'I loved Cheshy and Ears. I want to see more of them...!'

My answer? I want to see more of them too!

Secondary and transitory characters have a lot more leeway in a story than the main characters  do and they can be as much, if not more fun to write about, than the original stars of your novel. They'll never carry a story mind you--but they add so much color to places where you need to paint with a broad and inspired palette. I love bringing these people into the story, and into our little world of fantasy.

In "Hidden Legacy", they pop up often, and I give them as much room as I can, while still keeping in mind the story isn't centered on them.  

The future? Well, yes, I've already discussed the fact that there will be a second story. Not sure if Cheshy has retired or not, but Ears will play a role in the upcoming sequel for sure. And there's always going to be a new crop to discover and get to know better.

SPOILER ALERT!

I admit, killing off Bentley was one of the harder things to do. After I was done, I felt I could have used his character more in future settings, just because of what I perceived to be a moral compass of sorts in him that would guide the rest of the Yard team. But alas, he served his purpose. Though watch for more our of Sergeant Jefferson I think--- he's based on some colorful characters I've known and I think there's room for some expanded opportunities for him.

Thanks. Looking forward to YOUR feedback as well.

Discover more about "The Case of the Hidden Legacy" at www.hidden-legacy.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment