Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Finding a Voice

I asked my friend of almost forty years to explore my book and give me his feedback. Being an old ink stained wretch himself, I felt his opinions would be valuable-----plus it's always a good thing to get another set of eyes on your story to help you locate issues you continually miss, because you're just not looking for them. I kid often with Pat McNulty, author of the book 'GreatMusicRadio.com', about how you can read a story a hundred times and still miss typos and glitches. it frustrates him as much as it does me.

One thing my friend Jeff  discussed  as something he felt would improve the story would be to tell it in third person, as opposed to having Murph describe the action as it was happening.  Third person, for those who aren't quite remembering their literature classes from high school, is telling a story as a narrator, a third person, or, using a $20 title, as the omniscient observer. It's the person outside the glass, looking in. Good idea--- just not for this particular work.

This had to be done as first person-- because as the fictional next generation of story teller (being Doctor Watson's son), Murph shares the adventure, becoming part of what is transpiring. In doing that, he takes us along for the ride. It's a fun way to tell a story and it's, in my opinion, a better way to allow this type of adventure to unfold.

So, for those who are writing, I urge you to find your voice. It may be one,or a combination of voices. But find a strong voice and then let it be the one to tell your story. It makes all the difference in how the story flows, and how it's received by the listener.




Discover more about "The Case of the Hidden Legacy" at www.hidden-legacy.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment