Monday, July 15, 2013

Just do it ( with apologies to Nike)

I had yet another person this weekend talk to me about the book they've been dying to write. Ever since I published "Hidden Legacy", they seem to be coming out of the woodwork.

Here's my advice to anyone---- write. Write every day. Serious. I mean, even if you embellish a shopping list a little, write every day. Your creative tool is a muscle. If you don't use it, it atrophies.

I recently passed the 100,000 script mark in my copy writing career. 100,000 scripts. That's a load of writing. And my job has been a blessing because it forces me to write every day, whether I feel inspired or not. And that's the point. When you write every day, you learn every day. Every day, I discover something new. Every day, I learn a better way to say something, I learn a new word, I learn how to be tighter, more succinct, more direct.

Writing every day gave me the ability to create crisp, character driven dialogue. I look at my early short stories and they reek. They're trite garbage compared to what I'm able to do now (not that I'm Shakespeare yet. I guess it's all subjective). But I created a better style from writing, learning, improving.

Do it. Write every day. Then start that first book. It's in you. Let it out.

Oh hey-- i got my first return today. Waaaaahhh..! You try not to take it personally, but I want to ask the person who returned their copy to Kindle, 'what?' 'What was wrong?' 'What didn't you like?' Glad after five months on the market, it's only the first.


No comments:

Post a Comment